Committed to Community- “The Bench”
It has been an exceptional year for many due to our current circumstances and those in need within our community need us more than ever. We hope you will join us by donating to “The Bench” this season.
A Guelph resident, Ed Pickersgill, hosts the grassroots initiative, “The Bench”; 365 days of the year, rain or shine.
Like clockwork, from 1:45PM to 3:00PM, Pickersgill sets up complimentary supplies for people in need Downtown Guelph.
“At 1:45 p.m. every day, seven days a week, since October 2017, Pickersgill has arrived at The Bench, a non-descript city bench at the top end of Wyndham Street and set out bins filled with food, water, hygiene products and other items to give away to the poor and homeless people in the community. At 3 p.m. he packs everything up and goes home.”
The Bench is by word of mouth and whoever attends is welcomed to grab what they need; no questions asked. All supplies are donated by citizens within our community.
Items that are “grab and go” include; personal hygiene products, clothing basics, non- perishable food items, fresh fruit (easy to eat oranges, apples and clementine), freshly made lunch items (sandwiches donated by citizens and local restaurants), water bottles and loads of granola bars.
3 easy ways to participate this season:
1. Put together a reusable bag of lightly used/ new items and drop it by our office (by Dec 23). What to include?
– Personal hygiene products
– Clothing (lightly used or new): hoodies, hats, mitts, scarfs.
– New socks (in desperate need).
– Non- perishable food items: granola bars, chocolate bars, water bottles, dried fruits and nuts/ trail mix, crackers, juice boxes
– Cozy goods: blankets, sleeping bags
– $5 gift cards to: Tim Hortons, Starbucks, The Red Brick Cafe, Robusta or The Common
(all within walking Distance of “The Bench”)
2. Make a monetary donation via Ed Pickersgill
– All amounts appreciated: email@example.com
3. Donate items directly to “The Bench”
– Pull together your items and drop them by (in a reusable bag for them to keep, any day between 1:45 to 3:00)
– Not sure where The Bench is? DM for location.
– You can choose to be acknowledged or simply drop them by and continue on your way